Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Benefits of Social Security


The name speaks for itself. Social security. Being covered by Social Security means you are securing your future. Having Social Security means less worrying in the future.

Being a Virtual Assistant doing project-based jobs, I currently work on small, multiple writing jobs requiring a few hours of work a day over the course of one to several weeks. Pay is usually fixed, a pre-determined price based on final work submitted. As an independent contractor, I get no paid vacation leaves and no medical benefits.

As a self-employed individual, it is my responsibility to pay monthly premiums to ensure that I continue to have the benefits of Social Security.

Social security is a government program aimed at providing financial assistance to those in need, in instances of loss of income, to be protected against the strain of financial burden. Social security benefits vary from country to country. The usual include sickness, disability, maternity and retirement benefits. Other countries, like here in the Philippines, have death and funeral assistance benefits. In the United States, they also have unemployment benefits.

If I ever get sick and be hospitalized, or God forbid, be temporarily or permanently disabled, my paid premiums will enable me to get a certain amount of money to help tide me over the difficult situation. It’s great to know that while I’m actively working today, I’m also saving up for my retirement. While some people lament that the amount that I’ll be receiving as pension in my retirement years may not be much, I’m sure it will be a big help in paying for everyday expenses. Contributing to social security payments now means lesser financial strain in the future for me and my loved ones.

We all face uncertainties in the future. Yes, let us not waste our precious energy worrying about what might or might not happen. What is important is to focus to do good today so that we will have less worrying in the future. That means we should take good care of ourselves every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment